Tina

Periodical Gazette

This blog is dedicated to both fiction and non-fiction. My personal favorites in fiction are mainly contemporary romance, suspense thriller,  historical fiction and YA then in non-fiction, I love to review inspirational, self-improvement and finance related books. I review outside these genres also because of the fact I love to read.

House of the Lost

House of the Lost - Sarah Rayne I grabbed this novel from the library as a random choice.But when i started reading this novel only i realized this is not a novel that should be read as yet another novel.Despite the compelling cover image, the novel really stands out amid the creepy plot.The author's meticulous way of writing gave me the impression that i am actually gone out of this present world and i never realized that i was totally lost into the story .The house of the lost is a rattling good story.The voice of this book is the book itself but it really doesn't matter as i was able to connect with the story and the inside characters very well.The author Sarah Rayne has well told the story of Theo Kendal, a writer who inherits the property of his cousin Charmery after her brutal murder.Like every other novels, the killer is unknown.But her novel is not entirely about finding out who the killer is and what's his ulterior motive behind killing.The main protgonist, Theo never expected to visit Fenn House which was passed on to him after his deceased cousin Charmery because he believed it would cause trouble into his stable life.He makes a sudden visit to the house which is now haunted by the memories of Charmery and his own characters in the book that he is writing.What happens when all the characters he has imagined for his new novel becomes real and not only they are real but also many of them are now alive.What is more gripping is they all have connections to Charmery's death. Although there were many characters in the novel, there is no baffle as to which character is who .This novel can be split into three short novels.The story of Theo and Charmery and thier unatural love, then Theo's novel of Mathew and Mara, and a separate gothic story about the lesbians, Annaleise and Zoia. Overall, I could say this is a novel written out of great intelligence and brilliance.